Friday, June 5, 2009

Almost there

Two days ... We're all really looking forward to our camping trip. Social Butterfly has packed and repacked two or three times and now wants to pack for the boys. I should probably just let her because time is running out! (And honestly, she's a pretty good packer!)

Dad and I are going to be gone for most of today. We are going to the ordination of soon-to-be Fr. David. He will be taking the place of Fr. Denis who will be leaving for Rome. We are sad to see Fr. Denis go - he has been such a blessing. But, we are also looking forward to getting to know Fr. David. It will be a nice day but that really only leaves Saturday to get ready!

Every time we go camping I fret and fuss over packing everything up. I think "there has got to be a better way" and finally, on the way to the camping destination I tell Dad "I'm getting to old for this!". But, then we arrive, unpack, the kids play, Night Owl fishes, Dad and I relax and then I decide it's worth it all. I just wish I could skip the packing part!
We are taking this camping trip with our friends. We try to go at least once a year with them. Their kids are similiar in age to ours and we like the same sort of camping activities - relaxing, hiking, kayaking, playing at the beach, relaxing, s'mores, campfires, bike trails, and did I say relaxing?! - all the traditional camping sort of things. They are great friends and we love the way the kids get along. My kids feel like they have 4 more siblings when we are with them.

So, tonight I'll start packing and we'll eventually have the van (over)loaded with tents, kayaks, fishing poles and marshmallows. We'll have the classic argument about how much stuff we're taking, how much we really need, and what exactly we should leave behind. Then we'll hit the road, the adults a bit frazzled, the kids overy excited. But, we'll get there unpack, and have a great time and I'll remember what it's all about...
Family, friends and building memories.



No comments: